Monday, May 4, 2009

Day One -- So much fun!

I am starting this post today while Anna is taking her nap. I forgot how much work an 18 month old takes! It is all so much fun, everything she does is too cute and we want to see her every move:-) I realized just a minute ago that I had mashed potato and carrot chunks in my hair leftover from her lunch...isn't that sweet! She is quite a force when she is awake, constantly going, going, going! But then, when she is tired, it is like a light switch. I pick her up, hold her close, she finds her thumb to suck and her eyes shut almost immediately. I wish she needed me to hold her longer, but now I just stare at her sleeping until my arms feel like they are going to fall off. I am not sure if this is her normal way or if she is just extra tired and overloaded with all things new. Yesterday I wanted to hold her all night long and watch her sleep, I was so emotional having her with us for her first night. I keep trying to describe how amazed we are that she is finally with us, but there are no words. It is all the same feelings we had the days our boys were born, however, this was a 2 year "pregnancy" so the result seems sweeter. Plus, I am not confined to a bed and I have enough energy to take care of her:-)

Last nights bath was very traumatic for her (and us too)! We had no idea she would react in such a way, it was sheer terror. We had planned on getting her first bath on video, but we were all so upset that we totally forgot. We might stick to sponge baths until she is more comfortable with us. We wanted to take her swimming at the Moscow hotel pool, but now we think that might be a bad idea.

Tomorrow is our last day in this apartment. We need to go somewhere to sign papers, then the rest of the day we will be packing to leave very early Thursday morning.

Thanks for checking in on us!



Well, what a difference a day can make! When I started this post is was in the afternoon, since then we decided to try Anna's bath tonight in the kitchen sink vs. the bathtub (thanks to my sisters great advice, THANKS CHRISTY!) as you can see, viola...she loved it!

3 comments:

Heather Brandt said...

Colin didn't like his first bath with us either but by the time we were in Moscow he loved the water..Now at home, he is a regular fish in his bath! Do you leave early in the morning for Moscow? Praying it is a smooth flight!

heather

Kim said...

That's great about the bath in the sink! I bet she will love the pool in Moscow. So glad it is going well- ENJOY!

Shelley said...

How CUTE -- and what a blessing to have pointers from others to help you through it all. We can't believe you'll be home NEXT WEEK already!!